BPS #006: Weird “80/20” secret to heal your back pain

What’s up guys. This is Robin Wakeham and welcome to the Back-Pain Secrets podcast. Today we’re going to talk about how you can use the weird “80/20” secret to heal your back pain.


So what is the 80/20 principle?
The 80/20 principle establishes that a few causes, factors or efforts lead to a majority of the results or rewards. This literally means that 80% of what you achieve, at work for instance, comes from 20% of the time. Accordingly, four fifths of the effort – an overwhelming part – is largely meaningless. This is the opposite of what people expect.”

The feeling that there’s not enough time to do what you want is so common that there is a huge market for teaching people how to squeeze in more activities in the same amount of time. But many back-pain sufferers forget that they don’t actually want to do everything they’re busy doing now. This is why they’re stuck in various time planning systems or walk around feeling stressed without being satisfied with what they’re getting out of life.

The solution is based on the following two principles.

1. Identify what’s important in your life

2. Get rid of all else

This means that you don’t have to live with what’s stealing your time today. If you were totally honest…

* do you really have to check your e-mail and cell phone more than two times a day?


* do you really have to do everything that other people ask you to, even if it’s not important to you?


* do you postpone the uncomfortable decisions because you’re afraid of hurting somebody’s feelings or are keeping everyone happy?


* how many relationships do you have with people you don’t like or don’t gain anything from?


* do you continue doing things the same way just because you’ve always done it that way?


* how much do you watch TV without paying much attention? More than two or three hours a day?

All of these kinds of activities don’t take much time on their own, but together, they actually take up to 80% of your waking hours! This means that what you actually get done takes place in the remaining 20% of the time. Think about it! By just doing the 20% that actually provides results and getting rid of the other 80%, you will have more time left over. You do less, but get more done. Cut things out, simplify matters and focus on what’s important.

It’s important that you begin with what’s important for you. This may be things that you’ve always wanted to do, your bucket list. These things are, without a doubt, things that you don’t think are possible to make happen or that other people say you can’t make happen.

If you don’t discover what these things are, you will probably keep living with your bad habits – and it’s your bad habits that is creating stress in your life and your back pain!

The 80/20 principle will teach you to quit your bad habits like stressing, complaining, spending time with friends who suck out your energy, giving up exercising time and again, being shy, eating too much and never finishing your projects and lacking a meaning in life. These kinds of things affect your stress level and your back pain.

But first you have to find out what is causing you stress and unhappiness but also what is causing you pleasure and happiness. So what I want you to do right now is to put aside everything seemingly urgent for the next hour and do the most intense truth-barring analysis possible. You do this by simple asking yourself these two questions:


1.Which 20% of sources are causing me 80% of my stress, problems and unhappiness?

2.Which 20% of sources are resulting in 80% of my feeling less stress, desired outcome, and happiness?


To help you get started I have listed 7 common areas in your life.The 7 areas are:

1.Home life- all the things associated with family life, organizing, design, and time management.

2.Relationship- the aspect of love, romance, marriage, dating, divorce, children, parents, relatives, friends, neighbors, partners, and pets.

3.Spirituality- personal discovery, healing old wounds, recovering personal power, expanding intuitive awareness, discovering new dimensions, remembering your true spiritual identity, finding peace within your soul.

4.Body- physical health and well-being, including weight loss or gain, beauty, exercise, sports, and recovery from illness.

5.Money- Income, savings, debt payoff, and money for purchases, adventures, and indulgences.

6.Career- where you want to work, what you want to do, how much you want it to pay, whom you want to work with, the environment you want to work in, the rewards you want to receive, the amount of independence you want, and the contribution to the world you want to make.

7.Sexuality- love, physical intimacy, techniques, puberty, attraction, dating, and pursuit.   


Guys don´t expect to find you´re doing everything right. The truth often hurts. The goal is to find the big things in your life that is causes you stress and unhappiness and then eliminate them. Guys I can’t stress enough 🙂 that this is a process that takes time. What I do myself and that I teach all of my back pain clients is to do a 10 minute 80/20 principle analysis every friday before going home from work. This way you constantly remind yourself what you need to eliminate  in order to feel less stress and heal your back pain. The reason why I recommend you doing it on fridays right before you leave work is that the 80/20 principle really helps you clear your mind, feel less stress and helps you set your priorities straight. I personally always do a 80/20 analysis on fridays and when I come home to my beautiful wife Linda and or two kids Kelly and James I am in a better mood, I feel happy, less stress, can enjoy my family life more and find it easier to relax during the weekend. So make sure you block out 10 minutes in your calendar every friday right now. Turn off your computer and make sure you are not disturbed for the next hour and knock out your first 80/20 analysis.    


Alright guys that is it for today. I appreciate you guys, and guys remember you´re just one step away from healing your Back Pain…

Related Posts

24 Apr , 2019

BPS #045: Is It Time for Back Surgery?

29 Mar , 2019

BPS #029: Why You Shouldn’t Operate Your Herniated Disc With A Hammer…

28 Jul , 2019

BPS #055 What Can Make Sciatica Worse

18 Mar , 2019

BPS #018: Why You Get To Many Back Pain Exercises From Your Therapist…

Robin BackPainExpert

Physiotherapists & Back Pain Expert

Twenty years ago I was lucky to survive a serious hockey injury. In a sport where big men zoomaround on hard ice and solid wood sticks are slung furiously, a difficult back injury is what every player fears.
It took a long time for me to climb back to a normal life. But when I did, I was determined to spend the rest of his life helping back pain victims everywhere.
As a physiotherapist and back pain expert I have treated thousands of patients over 20 years, built a respected back pain clinic, created the site BackPainSecrets.Com and authored the book “Back Pain Secrets.”
Learn more about me here.